Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Cucumber Blunder


We have about 200 feet of sumpter cucumbers ready to harvest. When they were turning yellow instead of growing long and green i did a little research and found out that I planted the most popular pickling cucumber variety rather than a variety developed for eating fresh like I had intended..ah well. This farm teaches me something new three times a day. Now I've got a lot of picking, and maybe pickling ahead of me. If these cukes don't get picked soon, growth hormones signal the plants to stop producing for the season. In a place where fresh vegetables are available year around, I wonder how many Co-op members are interested in making pickles at home? One good thing about these little cuks is that they are single serving sized. I could never figure out how to keep half a cucumber crisp in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment